Thursday, September 18, 2008

Country First

In today's edition of the Omaha World Journal Chuck Hagel (R) of Nebraska had this to say about Sarah Palin,

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials. You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

"I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, 'I look out my window and I see Russia and so therefore I know something about Russia. That kind of thing is insulting to the American people."

"But I do think in a world that is so complicated, so interconnected and so combustible, you really got to have some people in charge that have some sense of the bigger scope of the world. I think that's just a requirement."

"I think it's a stretch to, in any way, to say that she's got the experience to be president of the United States."

I appreciate the fact that there is at least one Republican member of Congress who is willing to put his country ahead of party politics. I know that there are more members of the Republican party leadership who must feel grave doubts about Sarah Palin. They have to speak up. This is no longer about partisanship. This is about the future of the country. This is about (to coin a McCain campaign slogan) putting "Country first".

There are multiple crises that the next President is going to have to deal with, from the meltdown on Wall St. to a foreign policy minefield. I cannot believe that there is one Republican member of Congress who can honestly say that they would be comfortable with Sarah Palin leading our country during these dangerous times. Obviously it is John McCain at the top of the ticket, but his choice of a running mate illustrates a serious lack of judgment. It shows that he is willing to put himself first ahead of his country. For someone so quick to wrap himself in the flag, it showed exactly where his loyalties lie.

The only question I have is, where are the rest of the principled Republicans? Anyone, anyone?

1 comment:

SJ said...

Some of our frequent readers who are staunch Republican supporters like CKAinRedStateUSA and others seem to be okay with this. It's shameful.
I have always said, (despite my own political focus, working class leanings and socially liberal philosophy and consistent disagreement with most every right-wing position) that we do desperately need strong Republicans and Conservatives in this country, but we need real ones. We don't need more of the sycophants, incompetents, puppets, crooks and rich boys we already have in the Bush administration. I really do wish more people like Chuck Hagel would speak the truth on this issue.
It's important to note, Mr. Hagel did this at no small risk to himself politically.
John McCain will probably be our next president despite all the current implosions and volatility in the financial markets. I'm not holding out much hope for a Republican crisis of conscience. After all, this is the party that insisted on offering up George W. Bush over Jack Kemp, Robert C. Smith and yes John McCain in 2000.
Why wouldn't they offer up a "pitbull in lipstick" and try and sell it as a competent leader?
It worked the last two times.
-SJ